Monday, April 6, 2009

A tiring day... and a lost boy.

Literally, I lost my child today.   It was the scariest 20 minutes that I can remember.   I came inside with the kids after spending the entire day outside.  I closed the back doors (or so I thought, then headed to the kitchen to start dinner.  I couldn't think of anything and went downstairs and pulled up some recipes online.  The kids were playing upstairs in the living room.  I went upstairs to ask them what they wanted for dinner, and on the way noticed that the back door was open.  Not thinking too much of it, I went to the living room and asked Ammon if he knew where BJ was.  No.  So I went outside and didn't see him anywhere.  Searched the house and didn't see him anywhere.   Went to both neighbors and they hadn't seen him.  Called 911.  I think it's the first time I've ever had to do that.  I was trying to answer their questions and the neighbors questions without completely losing it!   Stay calm!  My neighbors walked down the street and finally found him up the street a few houses in the direction we go to Ammon's school.  He was chasing after a cat and apparently didn't notice that he was even lost.  I am so so so sooooooooo grateful that he was okay and that we found him so quickly.   He was watched over by a guardian angel I'm sure.  But I still feel (a few hours later) that my heart is not quite beating regularly because of that intense stress for that short time.  I hope to never experience that again.   I will certainly be more careful-- and we'll soon be installing locking screen doors so we can have closed doors but still have a breeze blowing through.   
Anyway, we had beautiful weather today after a very very cold March.  It felt like summer.  I walked the lake, planted part of my garden, played outside with the kids, walked to school to pick up Ammon, played at the school with the kids, ran around being a crazed desperate mother, and never did get to making dinner-- so we picked up subs and went to the park for a picnic.  Needless to say I am TIRED!!!  And sunburned.  And grateful-- did I say that already? Goodnight.  

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh my gosh Marisa! I can"t even imagine feeling that kind of panic! I am so glad you found him and everything is ok. I am jealous of your nice weather. It has been cold here! Hopefully spring will decide to stay pretty soon!

Maren said...

Yikes! That's why we have dead bolt locks way up high on our doors - my little savages started to open the doors while I was in the shower. I knew it was only a matter of time before I found myself in a scenario like yours! I'm glad everything turned out okay.